The Alpha Omega International Dental Society is the oldest international dental organization. Alpha Omega (AO) also has the distinction of being the oldest international Jewish medical organization.
AO was founded at the University of Maryland School of Dental Medicine in 1907 by a group of dental students. During those times, Jewish students were not permitted to form social groups so the Maryland students formed AO to fight discrimination. Little did they know but their efforts have created a lasting imprint on AO members to this day. Discrimination is not as prevalent but it still occurs.
The AO international community is comprised of over 100 alumni and student chapters in ten countries. AO is an inclusive organization that welcomes people from all cultural backgrounds but our Mission, Vision, and Values are guided by our three tenets of professionalism, fraternalism and commitment to Judaic values.
To offer dentists, oral health professionals and students a welcoming fraternal community that honors the organization’s Judaic heritage, provides opportunities to attain professional excellence and promotes access to oral health care for all.
Alpha Omega envisions communities where everyone has access to oral health care and whose members can contribute to the well-being of others.
- Integrity: Acknowledging and demonstrating that our core values guide our commitments and actions;
- Compassion & Inclusion: Engaging all who share our core values to participate in our efforts to realize our vision;
- Generosity: Sharing our knowledge, skills and resources to promote oral health as well as personal and professional growth.
- Access to oral health and wellness
- Promoting social justice
- Tikkun Olam (Repair an ailing world)
Establishing and nurturing high-trust networks and relationships to realize our full potential for personal growth and professional achievement. Providing avenues for oral health professionals to contribute to improve the health and well-being of their local and global communities.
- Provide high-quality and diverse continuing education opportunities
- Nurture oral health care students by inclusion in alumni activities as well as mentorship by individual alumni
- Engage alumni families through locally hosted social gatherings
- Engage and welcome all dental professionals to share our vision and principles
- Raise awareness of the integral nature of the Alpha Omega Foundations, Funds and Trusts to the realization of our mission and vision, especially its support for dental education in Israel
- Increase awareness and advocate for improved access to oral health care throughout the world
- Partner with like-minded organizations to promote social justice and improve oral health, such as donating our time and talent for the care of Holocaust Survivors in need
AO welcomes new members into the community!